(See Special note below about free organic mascara…..yes totally FREE)
Before we get into any specific recommendations, we should know a little bit about mascara and waterproof mascara in particular. It is important to be able to discern if you need to actually have waterproof mascara or you may be fine with non-waterproof mascara.
Best Waterproof Mascara – Water Soluble Mascara
Some of the best mascara you can get is the non waterproof mascara. Most of these mascaras are easy to remove with simple soap and water. However, the negative on these types of mascara is that they are not resistant to perspiration or tears. This type of mascara is usually made from something called triethanolamine stearate. In years past and even to this day, different waxes are used as the binder for the non waterproof mascara. Waxes like canauba wax, candeilla wax, rice bran (a vegetable wax) and animal derived waxes. You can also get these as organic mascara products.
Most of todays waterproof mascara contains something called isododecane. It is a solvent that can be volatile by itself. These waterproof mascara brands can also have different waxes in them that are based on animal and vegetable oils. Something to keep in mind with waterproof mascara is that they need to be removed with a strong makeup remover.
The Best Waterproof Mascara
This is a place where comments are not only welcome but encouraged. My girlfriends and I were talking one night and we got onto the subject of waterproof mascara. I told them of my problems with waterproof mascara and how I needed to start using organic mascara. We discussed the popularity of each and came up with a top ten list of what we felt were the best waterproof mascara on the market today. Without deference to cost or trying to rank them, the list is below.
These waterproof mascara brands are merely in alphabetical order:
- Inexpensive yet Rocks! We generally liked the fact that the lashes did not flake or break. The advertising says that it makes lashes 80% longer….not quite but it was one of the better ones for getting longer lashes out of what god gave us. They brag about the not flaking and to a person, we agree. A couple of the ladies in our group found it was just fine with contacts.
- A little cheaper than the one above but not quite as good. Our general consensus is to buy it for our daughters. We certainly liked it but would rather spend the other couple dollars. It is a smudge-proof formula that resisted swipes and smears quite well. It darkens and defines lashes all day, then washes away, remarkably, with soap and water. So don’t take a shower and expect it to stay 🙂 A few of us with sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers found it to be just fine.
- I have not tried this myself due to some problems I used to have with Revlon products and my extreme sensitivity to some mascara ingredients. However, a couple of the ladies raved about it. A couple of the women felt that they got the best curl for this mascara and that’s what set this mascara apart from all the others. They weren’t sure if it was the mascara itself or the brush. In either case, they liked it.
- Here is another situation where you get what you pay for. This is not an Organic Mascara but it certainly acts like it. I believe they must use some very high quality ingredients. I typically am leery about trying new mascara for extended periods of time if its not 100% organic but I really like this a lot. It just plain works. Its both Waterproof and Sweatproof. If you want the higher quality and got the money, go for this, otherwise stick in the $15 and under category. You’ll do just fine with those.
- Okay, When my friend Beth told me about this, I thought it was weird gimmick. It works!!! This may be my most favorite waterproof mascara. The elastomer brush vibrates 7000 times per stroke. It does feel slightly odd but does not hurt or is not too weird. I really think the brush does a great job of getting more mascara on the lash and in a more even manner. I think the mascara itself is just fine but I really do believe that the vibtrating brush really does help a lot. This is one I would really like some feedback from other people on to see if its me or everybody feels the same way.
- I use this every day. I can’t tell you how much I love this. Its price is great, its now even better as we offer you a rebate of the full purchase price. Get this FREE MASCARA
- ******* This is not waterproof but as I love Organic Mascara and I love Free even more, I am going to share something very special with you. It is from Physicians Formula.
There are other great mascaras and not so great items we have both tried and not tried but in this mascara revue, we tried to us some elements of reputation along with actual use. Eye makeup in general can be quite subjective to the user but at least now you have a list of what one group of experienced mascara users believe to be the best waterproof mascara.